Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Write on Wednesday-I Am Writer...Hear Me Roar!


My friend Michele at Writing the Cyber Highway honored me with this award, and I'm so pleased and grateful!

Of course, since Michele is all about encouraging aspiring writers, the award comes with an assignement. I'm supposed to share three writing tips that will make your writing powerful.

1) Keep a journal or a notebook of some kind and write in it every day. Writing "morning pages" each day are the way I jump start my writing. Sitting down every morning and writing whatever comes into my head is something like the warms up we do in choir, or the stretches a runner does before a marathon. Some days it's nothing but drivel, but other days, some really good ideas come out on the page.

2) Read fiction, poetry, biography, essay's. Find authors who inspire you, and study their descriptive techniques and the way they construct sentences, and create dialogue.

3) Write what you know, write what comes from your heart, from your experiences and feelings. That's the only way your writing will be meaningful to the people who read it.


So, how about you? What do you think it takes to make your writing roar?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Michele said...

What great tips, Becca! You've done a fantabulous job! :-)

All three of your tips are very important. I've fallen behind on writing in my journal and I could stand to read more as well. Ah, if only there were extra hours in the day... Seriously, I'll catch up on those two things.

Number 3 is one I love. If we don't share what we know, from our own unique hearts, our writing just won't be the same.

Thanks for participating! You always make me smile.

Smiles,
Michele

1/15/2008  
Blogger susan said...

Hi Becca,
Amen from the choir. I suppose by your list, I'm on the right track. I'll share a few tips in a bit. As usual, I'm toggling at the gig. lol

1/16/2008  
Blogger Sherry said...

Congrats for this award...well deserved!!!!! I love your 3 reasons...one of mine (I was given this in December) was honesty.

1/16/2008  
Blogger jzr said...

Congratulations Becca!! You deserve this award and your tips are the most important of all!!

1/16/2008  
Blogger susan said...

Hi Becca,

Three tips from a wannabe writer:

1.Revise, revise, revise. Revision won’t compromise your talent. It will sharpen it.

2.Word choice matters. A stone is not a rock. Ask yourself how much mileage a word gives you. Does a word best describe an image or action or tone? Does it enhance or progress a line?

3.Less is more. This doesn’t mean be stingy. Brevity isn’t a gimmick. Being succinct and clear is a learned skill.

1/16/2008  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

I think much of my writing is driven by my emotional and spiritual state. I totally agree with reading other writers and regular writing/journaling (although I am not as disciplined in this area as I would like to be).

As you said, write from the heart! Authenticity is HUGE! Peace & love, JP/deb

1/16/2008  
Blogger Jams said...

Congratulations!

Your tips are great, especially the last one. Write what you know. It will ring true and your readers will recognize it as such.

1/17/2008  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Congrats on the much-deserved award! And I've already posted about writing tips, when I, too was given this award.

1/18/2008  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Congrats on the much-deserved award! And I've already posted about writing tips, when I, too was given this award.

1/18/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home