Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sunday Scribblings-Traveling Companions

While I'm not averse to traveling alone (and in fact often prefer my own company to being in a crowd of others) I've become more appreciative of good traveling companions, especially when setting off on a new journey. Two years ago, approaching a landmark birthday, I decided to embark on a creative journey, to take up the practice of writing once again. I ventured into the blog world, clueless and wide eyed, wandering aimlessly for a while through a totally foreign landscape.

Before long, however, I encountered the outstretched hands of fellow travelers, eager to share their own tales of the road and graciously enthusiastic as I offered mine. We've traveled quite companionably on this creative journey, never interfering in one another's plans, supportive of each one's desires, encouraging flagging spirits when the road gets rough.

Small gifts along the way have served to enhance our relationship, friendly notes, occasional packages and photos, and public recognition for faithful friendship and inspiration. This week I was fortunate to be gifted with two such gifts, both Bella and Marcia extending this lovely acknowledgement to me:

And so, in turn, I'd like to pass the honor along to some of my new traveling companions on this creative journey. I've just recently met these ladies, and I'm so glad our paths have crossed.

Sherry meets life head on with a joyous exuberance and enthusiasm, as well as a deep well of creativity, which she shares in both her daily blogs. Her posts and comments always stir my emotions with laughter or (sometimes) tears.

Bella Rum relates her experiences in caring for her aging father with compassion and a good dose of humor as well. She inspires me as I travel through this rather daunting task of caring for the elderly in my life;

June's pithy informative posts, gorgeous photography, and "on the mark" poetry always brighten my daily reading.

And a nod of thanks to everyone on my long list of daily reads, only about 1/3 of which are listed in the Byline's blogroll. (How do I ever get anything else done???) You all make the daily journey more interesting and satisfying.

Godspeed to each one of you.

for more tales of traveling companions, go here

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I whole heartedly agree. My fellow travellwers in the blog world are the best things that could have happened to me. Visiting each other gives us all a high.


leveller

1/19/2008  
Blogger Sherry said...

Becca, what a wonderful way to bring this together with Sunday Scribblings and Fellow Travelers!! And I'm honoured that I make your day with my exuberence..and I love that you used that word!! Thank you!

1/19/2008  
Blogger Shari said...

Yes. We do travel along with fellow bloggers. And so many of them are supportive, encouraging, and appreciative. They share their knowledge and offer us a glimpse into other cultures.

1/19/2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, excellent! I adore the blogging world, the people, the company yet not having to leave home! Superb writing!

1/20/2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Becca...you've (ahem)made my day! Like Sherry, I'm quite pleased with your description of my writing: "pithy". You've made my style feel like a legitimate writing style :-)

It is wonderful, isn't it, to have this virtual community available to us. I didn't have any idea of its existence when I started Spatter in August 07. I'm so grateful to have become part of it in some small way.

1/20/2008  
Blogger susan said...

Becca,

I can't remember how I found my way here, but I am so glad you're here. And from your blog, I've connected with other writers' whose work I'm thoroughly enjoying.

I make my way here regularly now and I have you linked, too.

1/20/2008  
Blogger Tammy Brierly said...

I also totally agree with your post. It has given back my social contact that ALS tried to steal. I'm proud to know you Becca.

XXOO

1/20/2008  
Blogger paris parfait said...

Yes, our fellow travelers make the journey so much more interesting and intriguing! Congrats on your award!

1/20/2008  
Blogger rel said...

Becca, We do meet a tremendously supportive group of fellow travelers here in the ether and it's an uplifting journey.
There are lessons to be learned here....powerful lessons.
rel

1/20/2008  
Blogger Alessandra Cave said...

What a lovely post! I REALLY like the idea of calling ourselves "traveling companions"! I agree that in this scenario, I'd rather not go solo. Sharing the journey is part of the bliss! xo

1/20/2008  
Blogger JP (mom) said...

Congrats on your award! We took a similar approach with this prompt ... and I for one am very glad to be a fellow traveler with you! Peace, deb

1/21/2008  
Blogger Jams said...

What a wonderful gift. I look forward to dropping by the blogs of everyone you've mentioned. I've enjoyed your daily offerings more than you know. Thank you, Becca.

1/23/2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home